I am a 6th grade science teacher in Portland, Oregon at H.B. Lee Middle School. This page tells you a little bit more about who I am as a person and what I love about life!
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Riedl (rhymes with "beetle")
Birthday: June 28, 1983
- Elementary School: Metzger Elementary School
- Middle School: Highland Park Middle School
- High School: Aloha High School
- Concordia University - Portland, OR (M.A. in Teaching; Endorsed in Math and Science)
- Seattle Pacific University - Seattle, WA (B.A. in Biology; B.A. in Sociology)
- Schools I've Taught At:
- H.B. Lee Middle School - Portland, OR - 6th Grade Science (2019-Present)
- West Hills Christian School - Portland, OR - 5th Grade (2012-19)
- Ontario Middle School - Ontario, OR - 8th Grade Math (2011-12)
- Walt Morey Middle School - Troutdale, OR - 8th Grade Math/Science (2010-11)
- Lewis Elementary School - Portland, OR - 5th Grade (student teacher) (Spring 2010)
- King School - Portland, OR - 8th Grade Math (student teacher) (Winter 2010)
Favorite School Subjects
- Science, Math, Reading, Writing, Social Studies, PE, Art, Technology, Lunch, Recess
- Baseball, Ultimate Frisbee, Running, Football, Soccer, Basketball, Biking, Volleyball, Gymnastics, Taekwondo
Favorite Sports Teams
- Cleveland Indians, Portland Timbers, Portland Trail Blazers, Oregon Ducks, Seattle Seahawks, Portland Thorns
- October Sky, School of Rock, Incredibles films, 42, I Am Legend, Spider-Man films, Toy Story films, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, The Hunger Games series, Star Wars series, The Karate Kid
- Narnia series, Harry Potter series, The Giver series, Hatchet, Woof, Horizon, Wonder, The Cay, Tattoos on the Heart, The Sun Does Shine, The Invisible Girls, Celebration of Discipline, The Bible
- SmarterEveryDay, MinuteEarth, Fine Bros, SlowMoGuys, brusspup, Dude Perfect, Casey Neistat
- Boston, NF, Muse, Bob Marley, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Lindsey Stirling, TobyMac, Beautiful Eulogy, Jennifer Knapp, Eric Clapton, John Williams, Meghan Trainor, Skrillex, Taylor Swift
Favorite Board/Card Games
- Ticket to Ride, Splendor, Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Qwirkle, Scrabble, Texas Hold 'Em, 13, King's Corner
Favorite Android Apps
- YouTube, Instagram, Dune, Minecraft PE, Roblox, Word Stacks, Duolingo, Strava, Chrome Remote Desktop
- Boston Baked Beans, Airheads, Smarties, Pez, Tiger Pops, Dum-Dums, Tootsie Roll Pops, Twizzlers
- "Fair is not giving everyone the same thing, fair is giving people what they need." --Leslie Broun
- "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" --Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall
- "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." --Plato
- "Laziness means more work in the long run." --C.S. Lewis
Fun Facts about Mr. Riedl
- I can lick my own elbow!
- I was born with Poland Syndrome.
- I can walk on my hands.
I work very hard to be a good husband and father. I adore my wife, Jen, and I am very thankful to have her in my life. We were married in 2007. She and I have a lot in common, and I absolutely love hanging out with her. We have been through a lot together. I can't imagine having a better spouse to live life with!
We both love kids and started our parenting journey by bringing Nolan Zachary into the world in 2010. We have since been blessed with Delaney Ruth in 2013, and Eva Joy in 2015. These three children have been a delight to shepherd together. We were certified to be foster parents in 2017, and we welcome children into our home who need a place to stay when they have nowhere else to go.
I see many correlations between being a teacher and being a father and husband. I often think of my students as my kids at school, on a year-long journey through the ups and downs of daily life joys and struggles. However, when leading my family, it is a life-long journey that does not get a redo each year. My dedication to them is 100%. I only get one shot with them, so I had better make it count!
Outside of the Classroom
The activities I do in my spare time give me the passion and skills to teach. I believe that volunteering in our city is very important, not only because I desire to be the change I want to see in the world, but also because it allows me to gain a better understanding of the people around me. I love helping others!
Jen and I are members at Imago Dei Community Eastside, in East Portland, and we serve regularly on Sunday mornings. I help out with the Production Team by organizing and displaying slides on the projector. Jen helps out with the Hospitality Team by preparing coffee, snacks, and welcoming people. We absolutely love hanging out with friends, growing relationally together.
Over the years in our previous neighborhoods, we helped start up the Glenfair Community Garden, helped launched a website in our neighborhood through Nextdoor.com, and we are currently serving as foster parents as emergency and respite care providers. We love the city of Portland, have a big heart to help others, and want to see it grow in a positive way.
We live in the Montavilla neighborhood of East Portland and are currently serving at the school Nolan and Delaney attend, Harrison Park School. Jen is the PTA President, and I'm very proud of the hard work she is doing there.
What I Do For Fun
- I love to play ultimate with friends in Portland.
- I love going on neighborhood walks with my family.
- I collect Pez dispensers (see my Pez Collection page).
- I enjoy technology (I'm a big fan of Google/Android).
- I exercise by jogging around my neighborhood
- I draw GPS art on my runs (@g.p.s.art on Instagram via Strava)
- I practice juggling and walking on my hands.
- I love cheesy jokes!
- I solve my Rubik's cube. (My PR is 2:22)
- I play board games with friends.
- I enjoy exploring the city of Portland.
- I have fun flying my drone around.
- I love going camping/hiking with friends.
- I design websites like this one.
- I film and edit videos!!! 😀
Ultimate tournament in college (2005)