Thanks to all who helped volunteer, donate, and participate in Hoop-a-thon to make it a success! We had a lot of fun dressing up for Spirit Week, and hopefully we reached our goal for bringing in money for our awesome school! Stay tuned. This week the other half of the class will be able to come to Neighborhood HouseMake it a great week, everyone!
Person of the WeekBryce Stewart!
Topics to Talk About at HomeIn Bible last week we discussed the topic of leadership. I asked the class who in the room was a leader (other than me), and there were many students in the room who shared positive examples of their peers who are good examples of leaders. We also talked about how they are all leaders to some extent, especially for their Reading Buddies. It sometimes surprises the 5th graders that leaders aren't always necessarily good, but sometimes there are bad leaders too. Please talk at home about what kind of leader they want to be and what that looks like.
- Mar 07 - Field Trip: Neighborhood House Group 2 (12:00-1:30)
- Mar 14 - Field Trip: Rice NW Museum of Rocks and Minerals (9:00-1:30)
- Mar 21 - Lion King After School Rehearsal (3:05-5:00)
- Mar 23 - Puberty Talk (2:00-3:05) (info below)
- Mar 23 - End of 2nd Trimester
- Mar 24 to Apr 02 - No School (Spring Break)
- Apr 03 - Start of 3rd Trimester
- Apr 07 - Report Cards Emailed
- [more] - click to view classroom calendar
Curriculum and Exams
- Bible - Joshua & Caleb | Memory verse: Joshua 1:7 | Quiz Friday
- Math - Chapter 4
- Science - Solid Earth Unit | Rock Collection Lab due 4/4 (more info below)
- Social Studies - Ancient Greece Unit [view Mrs. Proulx's website]
- Read Aloud - The Cay by Theodore Taylor
- Reading - Book Groups: New books to be revealed this week!
- Writing - Persuasive Business Letters (informational packet in binder/accordion folder)
- Spelling - Lesson 13
- Grammar - Adjectives Unit
- Other - Music Sharing slips due 3/14
- [more] - view classroom calendar
click here for more info about donations.
Science: Rock Collections LabOur science lab instructor, Mrs. Swain, assigned the students a Rock Collection Project, which is due on the morning of Tuesday, April 4th. Each student should collect at least 8 different rocks or minerals in order to identify them. The students must NOT know the type of rock or mineral collected (it would defeat the purpose of attempting to identify it in Science Lab). Please use an ordinary egg carton to collect them, numbering the carton spots #1-8 for the rocks or minerals to be placed in. If anyone has extra egg cartons at their house, please bring them in for students who do not have one to use for collecting. This has already been explained to the students in class. Thank you, and please direct any questions to Mr. Riedl or Mrs. Swain.
Puberty TalkEach year, the 5th and 6th grade classes schedule a talk with the students about adolescence and general changes to expect. This year's Puberty Talk will be held on Thursday, March 23rd. You should be receiving a permission/email notification from our school nurses soon. Please read their message and if you do not want your child to attend, you may reply to them indicating that you wish for your child to be excused from this talk. If you do not respond to their email, they will assume that your child has permission to attend. Please feel free to contact me or the school nurses if you have any questions.
Other School-wide EventsBe sure to read the WHCS Weekly News to learn more about other school-wide events at West Hills Christian School. It is emailed to the entire school regularly on Friday afternoons. Thanks so much!
Teacher ContactMr. Riedl | RiedlTeach.com | 971-361-6113 (mobile) | email@example.com
Mrs. Proulx | visit her website | 503-977-5488 | firstname.lastname@example.org