|Our class OBOB team won 1st place! Congrats guys!|
The Neighborhood House trip scheduled for this week has been postponed, and we will also have a mini Valentine's Day party on Tuesday. The graded work packets haven't come home in a while due to the last snow day and a volunteer being rescheduled, so please expect the graded work packets to come home with the students on Monday. Progress Reports will be emailed out on Wednesday, and grades will be up-to-date at that time as well. Make it a great week, everyone!
Person of the WeekMaya Terhaar!
Topics to Talk About at Home"Riedl Read Aloud" is one of the most beloved times of the day in our class. For the past few weeks, I have been reading a book written by a friend of mine from church, Sarah Thebarge. The book is called The Invisible Girls and it is about how Sarah befriended a single mother from Somalia and her 5 young girls. Sarah wrote about how she visited their apartment in SE Portland and discovered the only food they had to eat was moldy bread and ketchup. It is a great story about her relationships with the girls and how she got out of her comfort zone to help them survive in America. The book is also about Sarah's struggle with breast cancer and her personal life, but I'm choosing to only read the chapters about the Somali girls. I would love it if you have conversations at home about people in our neighborhoods that are struggling like this Somali family that Sarah fell in love with. How can we, as Christians, be the hands and feet of Jesus to those around us who are just barely surviving?
- Feb 14 - Mini Class Party: Valentine's Day (2:15-3:00)
- Feb 15 - Progress Reports emailed
- Feb 20 - No School (President's Day)
- Feb 21 -
No School (Professional Development Day)Yes, we have school
- Feb 22 - Mr. Riedl's class leads Chapel (9:00-9:25 in Auditorium)
- Feb 24 - New Date: Spirit Wear Day! Show WHCS School Spirit!
- Feb 28 - Field Trip: Neighborhood House Group 1 (student groups TBD)
- Feb 28 - Lion King After School (3:05-5:00)
- Mar ?? - Field Trip: Neighborhood House Group 2 will be rescheduled
Curriculum and Exams
- Bible - Preparing to lead Chapel on 2/22 | Memory verse: None
- Math - Chapter 3
- Science - Movement & Control Unit | Test Thursday
- Social Studies [Mrs. Proulx] - Ancient Israel Unit | Test Tuesday
- Read Aloud - The Invisible Girls (abridged) by Sarah Thebarge (my friend!)
- Reading - Lit Groups Books: A Long Way From Chicago, Holes, or The Magician's Nephew
- Writing - Persuasive Business Letters
- Spelling - Unit 11
- Grammar - Verbs Unit
- Other - Music: Baroque Quiz Wednesday
Roster Sheets 5th Grade 2016-2017
Other School-wide EventsBe sure to read the WHCS Weekly Snapshot to learn more about other school-wide events at West Hills Christian School. It is emailed to the entire school regularly on Friday afternoons. Thanks so much!
Teacher ContactMr. Riedl | RiedlTeach.com | 503-756-3309 (cell) (texts ok) | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Proulx | visit her website | 503-977-5488 | email@example.com