|Last week's POW Presentation|
Get excited about another full five days in school, starting tomorrow! Make it a great week, everyone!
Person of the WeekChar Thatcher!
Topics to Talk About at HomeWe earned a Pez Party as a whole-class reward! Please talk about what it took to earn it (listening, focusing, and teamwork), and what we will be doing to celebrate it (we discussed ideas in class on Friday). I'm not sure when the party will be... maybe Friday... but I'll communicate it to students and parents as soon as I decide.
- Jan 31 - Lion King musical: After school rehearsal (3:05-5:00)
- Feb 03 - Spirit Wear Day! Show WHCS School Spirit!
- Feb 07 - Field Trip: Oregon Symphony (10:00-12:30)
- Feb 14 - Field Trip: Neighborhood House Group 1 (student groups TBD)
- Feb 15 - Progress Reports emailed
- Feb 17 - Class Party: Belated Valentine's Day (2:00-3:00)
- Feb 20 - No School (President's Day)
- Feb 21 - No School (Professional Development Day)
- Feb 22 - Mr. Riedl's class leads Chapel (9:00-9:25 in Auditorium)
- Feb 28 - Field Trip: Neighborhood House Group 2 (student groups TBD)
Curriculum and Exams
- Bible - Preparing to lead Chapel on 2/22 | Memory verse: None
- Math - Chapter 3
- Science - Movement & Control Unit
- Social Studies [Mrs. Proulx] - Egypt Unit | Trading Cards Project due 1/30 | Test Thursday
- Read Aloud - The Invisible Girls (abridged) by Sarah Thebarge (my friend!)
- Reading - Lit Groups Books: A Long Way From Chicago, Holes, or The Magician's Nephew
- Writing - Publishing our Snow Days paragraphs
- Spelling - Unit 9
- Grammar - Verbs Unit | Quiz Friday: Irregular Verbs "see" to "write"
- Other - N/A
Khan Academy is used as a supplement, and I integrate it throughout the chapter to add variety. Everyone is at a different level on Khan Academy, so they just need to continue progressing by completing any exercised I recommend to them or moving forward in their mission. If you want to give them extra practice at home, then having them sign in to Khan Academy is a great option because they always have more to learn! Send me any questions you have, and I'd be happy to answer them. Thanks for all your support at home!
ValentinesIn 5th grade, many students exchange valentines, but some do not. It is optional. The rule we have made is that if you bring them, you need to bring enough for everyone in the class. We will exchange valentines at the end of the day on February 14th. As for bringing valentines for students in Mrs. Proulx's class, we will give them a few minutes to switch rooms at the end of the day on the 14th, and they do not need to bring valentines for Mrs. Proulx's entire class, just for one or a few friends if they want to. Here is a classroom list if you want to print it: Roster Sheets 5th Grade 2016-2017
Other School-wide EventsBe sure to read the WHCS Weekly Snapshot to learn more about other school-wide events at West Hills Christian School. It is emailed to the entire school regularly on Friday afternoons. Thanks so much!
Teacher ContactMr. Riedl | RiedlTeach.com | 503-756-3309 (cell) (texts ok) | email@example.com
Mrs. Proulx | visit her website | 503-977-5488 | firstname.lastname@example.org