|First bow tie teaching experience|
Thanks to all of our volunteers for helping out with our first field trip. It was a beautiful, successful learning experience. There are several new items happening this week, including MAP, checking student grades online, and Neighborhood House volunteering opportunities below. Make it a great week, everyone!
- Oct 03 - First Friday Spirit Day! Show WHCS School Spirit!
- Oct 04 - Crusader Day! (11am-3pm)
- Oct 16,17 - No School (Professional Development)
- Oct 27 - School Picture Retakes
- Oct 29 - Mr. Riedl's class leads chapel for Grades K-2 (8:30am) and Grades 3-5 (9am) (Auditorium)
- [more] - click to view calendar
Curriculum and Exams
- Bible - Lesson 2: Abraham Trusts and Obeys | Verse: Hebrews 11:17 | Quiz 10/10
- Math - Chapter 1 (cont.) | Chapter Test Thursday
- Science - Populations & Ecosystems Unit (cont.) | Research Assignment (due before/on 10/13) | Unit Test 10/15
- Social Studies [Mrs. Proulx] << View all upcoming Island Project due dates on Mrs. Proulx's website | Geography Unit (cont.) | Quiz Tuesday: Climate Zones | Island Latitude/Longitude choice due Wednesday
- Reading - Finish Character/plot skill in the story Miss Alaineous
- Writing - Ideas Unit (cont.)
- Spelling - Unit 4 core words: travel, wrote, farm, circle, whose | Tests given weekly
- Grammar - Prepositions Unit (cont.) | Prepositions (A-C) Quiz Friday
- Other - Ecosystem Art due Friday
Last Week's Student Tweets
- Today we learned about MAVEN and I wondered will the earth's magnetic shield go away? #space -WR #MAVEN @NASA @MAVEN2Mars 2014-09-26
- This school day (like yesterday) I played soccer with my friends. We also had Computer at 10AM. Finally we drew bar graphs. -MF 2014-09-25
- Today we had Lit Groups. It was different in two ways: 1) Meet with Teacher was computer stuff, 2) Extra time in Word Work. -SA 2014-09-24
- We had a field trip! We went to Tryon Creek and learned about producers, consumers, and decomposers. We saw so many slugs! -LC 2014-09-23
- Today in the classroom we used new Chromebooks to set up Khan Academy. -HG @khanacademy #prepositionalphrase 2014-09-22
- [more] - click to view all @MrRiedl5th tweets
Check student grades online and Returning missing workI am currently entering student grades into my Renweb gradebook online. Parents and students are encouraged to view those grades online to see student progress. For help with navigating the Renweb site, please use these tutorials from last year: Written Instructions or Video Tutorial. The theme colors have changed since last year, but the basic format for navigating is the same. Please let me know if you have any trouble viewing student grades. Note: Late/missing work has not been entered into the online grades yet. I'm working on this tonight and plan to update it in the morning.
Additionally, on Friday the students received their first graded work packet. Every Friday I make it a habit to return graded work stapled together so it isn't lost. Parents, please ask your child to show it to you and store it in a location at home for the rest of the trimester. DO NOT throw out graded work until after report cards at the end of the trimester! Click to read more about Missing Work Procedures & Returning Graded Work.
MAP (Measuring Academic Progress)Fall MAP begins this week for the entire school. Just a reminder, MAP is the standardized testing used at West Hills to track student growth as they continually learn more. To ensure results that accurately reflect student knowledge, it is important that each student has plenty of rest, has a good breakfast, and does not have interruptions (i.e. doctor appointments) during the time of their tests. Let me know if you have any questions about the following schedule for our class:
- Thursday, October 2nd, 1-2pm
- Friday, October 3rd, 1-2pm
- Thursday, October 9th, 1-2pm
Dates chosen to serve at Neighborhood HouseWe are in need of one volunteer for each day we go to Neighborhood House to volunteer: October 21st and 28th (both Tuesdays). We will be walking over to their building in Multnomah Village at 12:30pm, serving for about 45 minutes by sorting donations and stocking shelves for people in the neighborhood, and returning to school by 1:45pm. If you would like to help chaperone on the trip, please sign up here. We only have room for one spot for each date, so sign up quickly! There will be more opportunities later in the year as well. Thank you!
Other School-wide EventsVisit the News & Events page to learn more about other school-wide events at West Hills Christian School. Please subscribe to stay updated. Thanks so much!
Teacher ContactMr. Riedl | www.riedlteach.com | 503-609-0109 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Proulx | visit her website | 503-977-5488 | email@example.com