|We won First Friday Spirit Day!|
Mrs. Proulx's class had a long-standing streak of winning the award for most spirited for First Friday Spirit Days, and this past Friday we finally decided to pull together to show our Crusader pride! Hooray! We will begin reading The Cay this week, which is a wonderful book about race, age, and survival. Get excited about some fun accents with our read alouds! Only five full weeks left... Make it a great week, everyone!
- Now to May 09 - Spring MAP (details below)
- May 06 - Parent Meeting (6pm)
- May 06 - Next year's 6th grade outdoor school info meeting (after Parent Meeting, Mr. Middleton's room)
- May 07 - Progress Reports emailed
- May 09 - Spring Concert (1st/2nd Graders) (7pm, Auditorium)
- May 12 to 16 - Book Swap
- May 22 - Class Birthday Party (2:15pm)
- May 23 - No School (Teacher Work Day)
- May 26 - No School (Memorial Day)
- June 09 - Field Trip: Tigard Bowl & Pizza Caboose (10:15-1:00pm)
- June 10 - Last day of school! (11:30am dismissal)
- June 10 - All School Family Picnic (12-3pm)
- June 13 - Report Cards emailed
- [more] - click to view calendar
Curriculum and Exams
- Bible - Lesson 14: Samson (cont.) | Verse: 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- Math - Chapter 8 (cont.)
- Science - Energy, Work, and Machines Unit (cont.) | Due Monday: Compound Machine Design final draft & Green Packet | Unit Test Wednesday
- Social Studies [Mrs. Proulx] - Middle Ages Unit (cont.) | Due 5/19: Middle Ages Project final draft | Unit Test Thursday
- Reading - Finish Cause & Effect skill in Pipiolo and the Roof Dogs | Begin reading The Cay
- Writing - Poetry Unit (cont.) | Introduce Creative Writing Project
- Spelling - Unit 23 core words: record, copy, forest, especially, necessary | Tests given weekly
- Grammar - Adverbs Unit (cont.)
Measures of Academic Progress (MAP)Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) for the Spring sessions begins on Wednesday, April 23rd. To ensure results that accurately reflect student knowledge, it is important that each student has plenty of rest, has a good breakfast, and does not have interruptions (i.e., doctor appointments) scheduled during the time of their tests. Let me know if you have any questions about the following schedule for our class:
Wednesday, April 23rd, 10:45-11:45am Thursday, May 1st, 8:30-9:30am
- Wednesday, May 7th, 2:00-3:00pm
Outdoor school info for next yearA major event next year in sixth grade is our outdoor school program. Outdoor school is scheduled for Sept. 15 - 18, 2014. Because outdoor school is so early in the school year (the third week of school), Mr. Middleton schedules a very short meeting with parents. This informational meeting is scheduled immediately following the parent meeting on Tuesday, May 6. The meeting will be held in Mr. Middleton's classroom (just a few doors down from the fifth grade rooms), and will last about 20 minutes. He will hand out a supply list, answer questions, and ask for your help. Thanks for preparing early for outdoor school!
Book SwapGet ready for summer reading with our library's upcoming BOOK SWAP! It will take place Monday through Friday May 12-16. Students can bring up to five gently used, high quality books to swap for other good books to read. Once books have been reviewed and approved by Mrs. Reichen, students will be able to choose books from the Book Swap table located in the hall outside the library front doors. Books can be swapped during library class, before and after school and during recess. Books should be at or above the student's reading level so that there will be enough books for all grade levels. What a great way to stock up on new books for summertime reading!
Other School-wide EventsVisit the News & Events page to learn more about other school-wide events at West Hills Christian School. Please subscribe to stay updated. Thanks so much!
Teacher ContactMr. Riedl | www.riedlteach.com | 503-609-0109 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Proulx | visit her website | 503-977-5488 | email@example.com