Thanks to all of the parents who came to the dinner last night! It was great talking with many of you, and I'm sorry I couldn't chat with everyone (including those who weren't able to make it). It was a fun night, and thanks so much to the Schaafs for hosting! Picture retakes were rescheduled to Monday, October 28th (tomorrow!), so please plan accordingly. Progress Reports will be emailed to families this Wednesday (more info below). Also, Mrs. Swain and I introduced a new science project to the students last week. They will be planning and creating in the coming weeks. Please read the information below for details. Make it a great week, everyone!
- Oct 28 - Picture Retakes (rescheduled from Nov 1)
- Oct 30 - Progress Reports emailed
- Nov 08 - Honored Guest Morning (8:45-10:45am) (info here)
- Nov 11 - No School (Veterans Day)
- Nov 22 - Harvest Party! (2:10-2:50pm)
- Nov 25,26 - No School (Parent/Teacher Conferences)
- Nov 27-29 - No School (Thanksgiving Break)
- [more] - click to view calendar
Curriculum and Exams
- Bible - Begin Lesson 3: Jacob Is Transformed | Quiz 11/5: Lesson 3 & Ephesians 4:24 (link)
- Math - Chapter 1 (cont.) | Quiz Friday: Chapter 1A
- Science - Space Unit (cont.) | Due 11/14: Space Project
- Social Studies [Mrs. Proulx] - Finish Island Project Presentations | Begin Mesopotamia Unit
- Reading - Finish compare/contrast skill in the story of Forests of the World | Due 11/18: Finish reading realistic/historical fiction for book report
- Writing - Introduce Dress-Ups in Booklice paragraph
- Spelling - Unit 6 core words: mountain, caught, hair, bird, wood | Tests given weekly
- Grammar - Finish Prepositions Unit | Test Friday: Prepositions in Sentences
- Music [Mrs. Brumley] - No updates
Space ProjectThe Fifth Graders are designing and constructing models of space projects to present in Science Lab on November 14, 2013. The projects are to be made at home using materials found in the home. Please do not go out and spend money on this project. Legos and similar toys can be used as part of the project if the design is original. No pre-made projects please. The projects should be small enough to fit on the top of a desk. Ideas may include but are not limited to:
- Design and build a model of a space station. Be sure to include information about the inside if not shown.
- Invent or improve on a device to help astronauts eat or drink in space.
- Design a space suit for a person or a pet.
- Build a model of a biosphere on the moon. Show the inside.
- Design a space shuttle to take the general public to the moon.
- Design a model of a robot or a Rover that can be used to collect samples and information on a planet or the moon.
- Create a tool that could be used in space.
- Design a store for a space colony.
- Design a sport to play in space or modify an earth sport to play in space.
- Design a biosphere that people could live in while on the moon.
Please e-mail any questions you might have about the project. Thank you for your help.
Susan Swain & Mr. Riedl
Progress Reports emailed this WednesdayPlease remember that Progress Reports are only a snapshot of how the student is progressing so far, half-way through the trimester. There is plenty of time to earn a better grade before Report Cards, but don't wait until the last minute!
Person of the WeekBrooke Sprague!
Other School-wide EventsVisit the News & Events page to learn more about other school-wide events at West Hills Christian School. Please subscribe to stay updated. Thanks so much!
Teacher ContactMr. Riedl | www.riedlteach.com | 503-609-0109 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Mrs. Proulx | visit her website | 503-977-5488 | email@example.com